Sunday, June 22, 2008

Holy Vegan Crepe?


I finally made the Vegan Crepe mix I took from Allrecipe.com. Although I did make the regular crepe version of it in my last blog post, I have an aversion to eggs. Truthfully, I think eggs kind of smell bad and taste gross. The vegan recipe was great, but I do think that it is meant for more of a sweet crepe rather than a savory one. It has a slight tinge of sweetness because of the added sugar and maple syrup.

Required: Soy Milk, Soy Margarine (I used Earth Balance from Trader Joe's) , Turbinado Sugar, Maple Syrup, Unbleached All-purpose Flour, Salt

In a large bowl, blend all of your ingredients. I used a hand blender with a whisk at the end. Make sure you mix the ingredients really well. Cover and chill for two hours.


Lightly grease a 5 to 6 inch skillet. I used olive oil spray and covered the entire non-stick pan. Heat the skillet until hot. Pour approximately 1/4 cup of the mix into the skillet. Pick up the pan and swirl it around a bit to spread the mix enough to make a nice sized crepe. Make sure you do this carefully so you don't create holes or breaks. Have a spatula ready! You'll want to flip the crepe over and cook the other side once it's golden.


Now for the savory inside...

Required: Spinach, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Mushrooms, Onions, Cayenne Pepper, Sea Salt, Canola Oil

Slice onions and mushrooms. Please place about 1 Tbsp of canola oil in the pan. Sauté the onions until soft. Throw in mushrooms, two pinches of cayenne pepper, a few pinches of sea salt. Sauté for a few minutes until mushrooms look soft. Sprinkle in some shredded cheese. Lastly add the spinach and stir. Serve hot on the crepe. Fold in half, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment